Wednesday, December 3, 2014

How It All Worked Out

It has been two years now and I am still alive. Anita and I are making it...but just barely.

Unemployment did get approved. The jailer (Danny Allen) contested it, but I won on appeal. I had to use almost all of the unemployment (which did not hurt my heart) to get me through until my Social Security started. Because of my health, I applied for disability but that was turned down. In the end, I wound up taking Social Security at a reduced rate (because I took it early) and I got a small pension from the Kentucky Retirement System for my years in corrections. Those checks, along with Anita's Social Security, are our only income.

It is hard to make it. We are still paying our mortgage and that is a big drain on our resources. We tried to get a re-finance or reverse mortgage on the house, but got turned down because the house is not up to code. It has some of the old two-prong electrical outlets -- which it had when we bought it. Frustration.

But in spite of the challenges, God has provided. We have kept our home and managed to eat -- if not very high off the hog.

I have managed to get the series of short stories called "Tales From the County Jail" published. They have sold a few copies, but cannot by any measure be called a success. Still, it is a start on a new occupation.

I have also managed to finish the first draft of a novel called "The Candidate". It sucks and I am having a hard time revising and editing. I hope to get it into publishable form someday...still working on it.

I am also forming an idea for two series of novels...more on that later.

I recently discovered that in Kentucky, seniors over age 65 get free tuition at state supported colleges. I may go back and get a degree in English, but I will have to wait until after December of 2015 to start it. God willing I will live long enough to finish that degree. I know it won't be of much value since I will be (and am) so old. But I think it will give me some goals and keep me active and writing...something which may actually extend my life span a little. And hopefully it will improve my writing skills.

That's it for now. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment